Audio books are a great asset for a variety of reasons. I used them quite extensively two years ago when I had a blind student in my Year 3 class. I was able to supply him with a copy of the book that his group was studying so that he was able to participate in the same activities as his sighted peers. I have also used them as part of serial reading to the class which the students enjoy as a change from listening to my voice all the time. They are useful as part of a Listening Post activity for a small group of children with a specific focus. This year, I have an intellectually disabled student who loves nothing more than to sit in his special chair with his headphones on and listen to Dr. Suess!!
I can see the value of e books with regard to their convenience. Also the huge variety of free material available opens up the world to people who otherwise might not have access to such material. However, I still love to curl up in a chair with a good book and turn the pages to enter into another world! Guess I'm showing my age! They have enormous potential for use in the classroom. However, this is dependent on having the resources to fund such a venture! It will be quite a while before my school will be able to afford the technology.
No comments:
Post a Comment